Sunday, March 11, 2012

Remembering Japan

It's been a year ago today, March 11, when the earthquake and tsunami devastated Japan.  I wrote this post in May of 2011, after completing a special piece designed with these events in mind.   I thought it might be appropriate to repost a revised version now. 

New designer Kathy Bungard, of Gracewood Stitches, was very moved by the devastation in Japan from the earthquake and tsunami.  In response, she decided to donate her new pattern, Sanctuary, to anyone who requested it, and asked for donations to be sent to an appropriate agency, for this or similar disasters.  Her design, inspired by vintage woodcuts and by the natural world, evokes warmth and home as a refuge in the midst of wildnessand uncertainty.  I thought it appropriate here for me to use fabric and threads I had on hand, so found a piece of linen that a friend had given to me, and paired it with several DMC colours, predominantly a terra cotta and some blue-greens (although the original pattern called for grays instead of the blue-greens).   Each time I see this piece, I`m moved to remember and pray for all those going through difficult times - not just in Japan (and the crisis there is not over yet), but anywhere in the world.

The pattern's available at Gracewood Stitches, and you can find out more about Kathy's creative process in her blog which outlines her sources and how she develops and stitches her designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment