Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Four Seasons Quaker

A week or so ago I said I'd post photos of an ongoing project - voila, here it is :)     Monasterium's Four Seasons Quaker is on my "upstairs" frame - so far I've completed the Spring section and a small part of the Summer section.  I'm using 3 Belle Soie silks and one skein of a Gloriana, on a Puritan Grey Legacy Linen in 34 count.  The colours are very different than those shown in the pattern's illustration - I've chosen to emphasize some of the unique colours that I associate with our Prairie seasons.  The Spring shade is Belle Soie's Shepherd's Pasture, a very very soft green that reminds me of those first whispered hints of the new season in the willows growing in the coulees and along the streams.  The Summer colour I've chosen is Gloriana's Baby Corn - not the bright yellow of the powerful summer suns and the canola and mustard crops,  but rather the ripening shades of the wheat and barley fields that stretch out to the horizon on the Alberta and Saskatchewan plains, and a reminder of the late summer tones of the native prairie grasses that sustained the buffalo and the antelope for so many centuries and that shelters the sage grouse,  prairie chicken, and teeming wildlife even today where the native grasslands are still preserved and thrive.

You can just see the tiny Autumn sample on the bottom rod, where I tried out the colour to see if it was going to work - I've done the  same with the Winter colour too, but it doesn't show in this photograph.  So stay tuned for progress reports, I'm enjoying stitching this immensely, but have one or two other pieces on the go at the same time - I like having a little variety!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait to see it as you add the other colors and it will be special with its particular association with your location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks lovely :) love the soft muted colours and that it applies to where you live too is even better :) love mouse xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colors you've chosen for it. I think they're very appropriate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful colour choices you have there, I especially love the fabric, so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to put in at least one session a week on this piece - I'd originally hoped to stitch each season on the sampler during that season in real life, but well,, that just isn't going to happen, as I'm already almost half a year behind LOL

    ReplyDelete